24 °C Fair Rabat

News
Sunday 22 March 2015

The Libyan Political Dialogue In Skhirat

Vocal synthesis
 The Libyan Political Dialogue In Skhirat

Libyan Crisis: No Agreement Yet, factions continue to commit to peace talks

The representatives of the Libyan factions currently taking part in the UN-sponsored peace talks in Skhirate (outskirts of Rabat) have not yet reached an agreement while they continue to commit to dialogue as a the "sole" way to reach a "real" solution to the conflict in Libya.

The representatives of the two main delegations representing the parliament of Tripoli and the parliament of Tobrouk reiterated that dialogue remains indispensable in settling the Libyan crisis.

Several proposals were submitted to the Special Representative of the UN Secretary General for Libya, Bernardino Leon, pertaining to two issues on the peace talks agenda namely security arrangements and the formation of a government of national unity, the two rival delegations said.

In a press conference, Mhamed Ali Chouaiba, Deputy speaker of Tobrouk’s parliament and president of the dialogue commission said that the talks are not a "tactic" but rather a national strategic option to put an end to the crisis.

The delegation representing the parliament of Tripoli, for its part, said in a statement that it adopted "flexible" stands to pave the way for "practical and realistic" solutions to the conflict.

On the recent military actions in the country, notably the bombings on Tripoli and the airport of Mitiga as well as armed militias attempts to take over the city, the Tripoli parliament’s delegation called on the international community to condemn these acts and to take necessary measures against the parties that attempt at obstructing peace talks.

The Libyan rival factions resumed political talks on Saturday for the second consecutive day.

This resumption takes place amid a deterioration of the security situation on the ground with the continuing military actions undermining basic infrastructure in several regions in Libya.

 

Prior to the resumption of peace talks, Leon condemned in the "strongest terms" the military attacks against the Libyan capital which he described as "irresponsible" attacks that deserve a strong UN condemnation.

MAP 22 March 2015

France, Germany, Italy, Spain, the United Kingdom, United States welcome resumption of Libyan political dialogue in Morocco- Joint Statement

France, Germany, Italy, Spain, the United Kingdom and the United States welcomed on Saturday the resumption of the Libyan political dialogue in Skhirat, Morocco.

"We strongly support the efforts of the Special Representative of the UN Secretary General, Bernardino Leon, the UNSMIL team and the Libyan participants and congratulate them all on the progress made so far," said the six countries in a joint statement issued by the US Department of State.

"We urge those taking part in the dialogue to enter into the discussions constructively and in good faith in order to reach agreement on a National Unity Government and arrangements for a ceasefire as quickly as possible," said the statement.

"We look forward to the meeting of Libyan municipalities to be hosted by the European Union in Brussels on 23/24 March, which will be an opportunity to discuss the implementation of the confidence building measures agreed upon at the last meeting in Geneva, the provision of urgently needed humanitarian aid and certain security arrangements on the ground," the statement went on to say.

The six countries also expressed deep concern regarding the "growing threat from terrorist groups in Libya, including Da’esh, who have expanded their presence in Libya as a result of the absence of a strong, united, central Government in the country."

 

"The United Nations-led process to establish a National Unity Government provides the best hope for Libyans to address this terrorist threat and to confront the violence and instability that impedes Libya’s political transition and development," noted the statement, before concluding that "the international community is prepared to fully support a unity government in addressing Libya’s challenges.

MAP 22 March 2015

Libyan factions continue peace talks for third consecutive day near Rabat

The Libyan factions resumed, on Sunday afternoon in Skhirate (Rabat’s outskirts), the UN-sponsored peace talks for the third consecutive day with a view to finding a solution to the crisis in Libya.

Prior to the start of negotiations, the Special Representative for the UN Secretary General for Libya Bernardino Leon held informal meetings with representatives of the parties to the conflict in Libya.

The representatives of the Libyan rival factions could not yet reach an agreement concerning the two key issues on the agenda: security arrangements and the formation of a national unity government, yet they reiterated commitment to political dialogue as a "sole" way to achieve a "real" solution to the conflict in  Libya.

The representatives of the two main delegations representing the parliament of Tripoli and the parliament of Tobrouk reiterated that dialogue remains indispensable in settling the Libyan crisis.

Several proposals were submitted to the Special Representative of the UN Secretary General for Libya, Bernardino Leon, pertaining to two issues on the peace talks agenda namely security arrangements and the formation of a government of national unity, the two rival delegations said.

In a press conference, Mhamed Ali Chouaiba, Deputy speaker of Tobrouk’s parliament and president of the dialogue commission said that the talks are not a "tactic" but rather a national strategic option to put an end to the crisis.

The delegation representing the parliament of Tripoli, for its part, said in a statement that it adopted "flexible" stands to pave the way for "practical and realistic" solutions to the conflict.

On the recent military actions in the country, notably the bombings on Tripoli and the airport of Mitiga as well as armed militias attempts to take over the city, the Tripoli parliament’s delegation called on the international community to condemn these acts and to take necessary measures against the parties that attempt at obstructing peace talks.

The Libyan rival factions resumed political talks on Saturday for the second consecutive day.

This resumption takes place amid a deterioration of the security situation on the ground with the continuing military actions undermining basic infrastructure in several regions in Libya.

 

Prior to the resumption of peace talks, Leon condemned in the "strongest terms" the military attacks against the Libyan capital which he described as "irresponsible" attacks that deserve a strong UN condemnation.

MAP 22 March 2015

Libyan factions start second day of political talks near Rabat

The representatives of the Libyan factions continue for the second consecutive day the UN-sponsored peace talks in Skhirate in the outskirts of Rabat with a view of reaching a political solution to the crisis in Libya.

The talks will tackle security arrangements to achieve a cease fire and form a government of national unity with a view of putting an end to the institutional division of the country.

The representatives of the different factions will also discuss the means to prevent the deterioration of the situation as military actions and attacks continue to undermine the country’s infrastructure.

Yesterday, The Special Representative of the UN Secretary General, Bernardino Leon called all stakeholders in the Libyan crisis to halt armed actions.

The UN is following with "concern" the situation in Libya, he said adding that the military actions in the country "threaten" dialogue and undermine prospects for a political solutions.

In this regard, he stressed the need for a cease fire and called on the parties to cooperate to reach a political solution.

The political talks between the Libyan factions opened on Friday morning in Skhirate under the umbrella of the UN with the participation of several foreign Ambassadors as observers.

Before this resumption of peace talks, the parties to the Libyan conflict took a pause for several days for consultation in preparation for a more "decisive" phase of the UN-led talks in Skhirate.

MAP 21 March 2015