Morocco Reiterates its 'Constant and Clear' Position Regarding Polisario’s Presence in the Buffer Zone
Morocco reiterates its "constant and clear" position regarding any action of the polisario separatist front in the buffer zone, said, Thursday in Rabat, minister delegate for Relations with Parliament and civil society, government spokesman, Mustapha El Khalfi.
"The position vis-à-vis any presence or action of the separatist front is a constant, clear and definitive position, which was expressed by HM King Mohammed VI in a letter to the United Nations last March," El Khalfi stressed at a press briefing after the weekly Cabinet meeting.
The Kingdom's position is supported by a clear Security Council resolution, in which it explicitly called on the separatist front not to transfer any administrative units to the buffer zone, he added, stressing that the Security Council had been clear to that effect and that Morocco is now backed by an international position from that council.
The position of the Security Council, affirmed for three years with regard to the buffer zone, is that of "immediate withdrawal", he said, considering that what emanates from the separatist front, with the support of Algeria which hosts it, places the polisario in confrontation with the international community.
Security Council resolution 2414 on the Moroccan Sahara provided fundamental clarifications, particularly regarding the historical and legal status of the eastern part of the security structure and the provocations of the polisario. The Council affirmed that this region, considered as a buffer zone subject to ceasefire agreements, should not be used for civilian or military activities.
MAP 12 July 2018